My partner and I recently went camping for the first time in a very long time; since our last camping trips, we have gone pescatarian, making finding camping recipes the fun part of our planning process. We stumbled across this fish stew online and thought we’d try it, and I’ll admit it is one of the best things I’ve ever cooked over a campfire. I’ve modified the recipe below from the original to suit my tastes, but you can feel free to cook with your heart using these basic guidelines.
Recipe adapted from one on SkinnySpatula.com
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large leek
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 med. russet potatoes
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 5 cups fish or vegetable stock
- 4 salmon fillet
- 4 tbsps heavy cream
- 1 bunch dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bread bowls
- Start by washing and drying all your produce.
- Peel and chop your potatoes and carrots, and finely chop the whites of your leek.
- Over your campfire, heat a large cast-iron Dutch oven.
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in the Dutch oven and toss in the leek. Saute until softened, around 7-8 minutes.
- Once the leek is soft and fragrant, dump in the potatoes and carrots and add fish or vegetable stock until the veggies are covered.
- Salt and pepper to taste and cover with the lid to cook for around 10 minutes until the potatoes are softened.
- While the veggies cook, chop the salmon into large chunks and remove the skin.
- When the potatoes are cooked through, add the salmon and heavy cream.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot and saute the leek for 7-8 minutes over medium heat until it softens.
- Add the carrot and potatoes to the pot, then cover them with the fish stock. Continue to cook for 10 minutes until the potatoes are almost fork-tender.
- Add the salmon chunks and double cream to the pot and simmer for 3-4 minutes, until the salmon is cooked through.
- Lastly, stir in your freshly chopped dill and remove from the heat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve in bread bowls.
Contact us if you’re ready to start RVing with your family! We will help you find the perfect RV for your family adventures.